Wednesday, October 5, 2016

SQL Saturday in Portland #572. Preview.

It was kind of became a tradition for me during reviewing a schedule of the next SQL Saturday I'm going to attend write blog post about the sessions I'd like to go and the best sessions in each slot.

SQL Saturday #572 in Portland is scheduled for October 22nd, 2016. Less than three weeks from now. Accordingly to the schedule, sessions are 75 minutes long, there are no vendors' sessions and early lunch is only 30 minutes. I hope they have boxes and no lines to get the food.

Looking through the schedule I've found myself like 2-3 years ago, when I've just started speaking and besides of speaking I desperately wanted to attend other sessions which were better and more advanced than mine. In that situation is much harder to figure out which session to attend.

So, the schedule itself is here: http://www.sqlsaturday.com/572/Sessions/Schedule.aspx

Slot 1.

In the first slot, without a doubt, the best session is "The Lost Science of Set Theory" by Aaron Cutshall. Accordingly to the description that session is "MUST ATTEND"  to all SQL newbies, who came to the database world from C#, Java and other procedural programming languages.
Similar topic to the best one is "Performance Pitfalls from Code Reuse" by Andy Yun. It seems like it is more advanced topic, which explains pitfalls of "OOP in SQL" another extreme in SQL coding.
The session I would attend is "PowerShell for Absolute Beginnners" by Michael Wells. I'm kind of already not a beginner, but still would like to know the basics from somebody else and maybe I'd found something what I've missed in learning.
However, I won't be able to attend any of these sessions because I have a session myself in that slot: "New SQL Server 2016 Feature: "Query Store"". It seems like everybody already heard about that gem of SQL Server 2016, but if you did not try it yet or want to see it in action - please welcome to my session.

Slot 2.

There is another beginner's PowerShell session for those who preferred my session, but still want to learn basics of PS: "Hi, my name is Powershell, let's be friends! An Intro to PoSH" by Amy Herold.
Another good session is "Data Architecture 101" by Pat Phelan. That is for newbie developers, who are thrown into a database design task. Must be very cruel one.
More advanced session is "Diagnosing Common Query Performance Problems with Execution Plans" by Tony Davis. That session is for DBAs, who want to make their systems to run faster.
Two more sessions are about newest technologies: "Temporal Tables in SQL 2016" by Daniel DeSousa and "SQL Server 2014/2016 Technology Enhancements for Developers" by Wylie Blanchard. Wont attend these sessions, because I think I already tried that new stuff.

You see I don't even mention Azure and BI sessions. It is so hard to choose from the 8 different tracks.
And there even more!!! There is a whole another track of "Lightning talks" and in the second slot I'll attend that track. In that slot there will be Rob Walk with his short talk about regular expressions in SSMS, but that is not the main reason. I'll attend that track because I also will make a small presentation there. I'll do a demo on how to have "SQL Server on your fingertips" using SSMS shortcut keys programming.


Slot 3.

I'm not speaking in that "after lunch" slot and hopefully nothing will stop me to attend a session if I'll be able to decide where to go.
The very interesting one is "SQL SERVER: Database Performance Testing" by Andrey Langovoy. Everybody are concentrating only on Performance, but hat about Performance Testing?
The amazing session is supposed to be "Cluster Standalone SQL Server Instances at “Ludicrous” Speed" by OJ Ngo. I want to see how he will do that in live demo.

Slot 4.

From Database development perspective, the best session is "Why NULL is not a value (and other SQL gotchas)" by Wendy Pastrick, but I probably will prefer "Inside the SQLPS PowerShell Module" by Ben Miller. For those who did not try it yet, there are two SQL 2016 level sessions: "Real World In-Memory OLTP 2016" by Russ Thomas and "Making Row Level Security and Dynamic Data Masking work for you!" by John Martin.

Slot 5.

In that slot App & BD Development section is starring again with "Introduction to Indexes and SARGability" by Jared Karney. That is one of the "MUST KNOW" things of the SQL Server.
Session about testing: "Prove to your boss your database is sound - Unit Testing with tSQLt" by Dale Hirt seems to be very interesting if it is not just a salesmen session for "tSQLt".
"Using Powershell to Automate Your Restore Strategy" by Frank Gill seems to be interesting by only new ideas if any. Otherwise, if you've learned PowerShell you can can do everything you want, not only automated restore.
In my opinion, in that slot the most interesting session might be  "Why Should I Care About ... Partitioned Views?" by Rick Lowe. That is about old, but still applicable technology. I'd better named it: "How to Stretch Databases on Premise".

Slot 6.

If you have no idea where to go for the last session of a day go to "Security 101" by Thomas Grohser. The topic is always in trend and the speaker is wonderful.
Steve Moss' session "What You're Missing If You Aren't Using SQL Windowing Functions" has to be fantastic. I use Windowing Functions, but still want to know how to master my abilities in their usage.
If somebody is really thinking that there are two things in the database world "SQL" and "noSQL" should attend Ben Thul's session "Hierarchical Queries". Will he show how to do "noSQL" by T-SQL? Will see.
Another "partitioning" session: "Split, Merge and Eliminate - An Introduction to Partitioning" by Martin Cairney should be really interesting, but in that slot I will choose the different one...
That is only BI session I will attend that day. Do you agree, hat has to be very special one, right? That is a "Advanced Spatial Analysis Beyond Bubble Charts" by Jason Horner. Even it including word "Advanced" in the name of the topic, the session is still suitable for "Beginners".


At the end, I've counted only EIGHT people I know from the more than 50 speakers presenting on that event. That will be completely new experience after east cost SQL Saturdays, where I usually know more than a half of presenters.
Hopefully, we will have big attendance, but still will fill it as small family event with #SQLFamily.


No comments:

Post a Comment